What is self-esteem and why is it important?
Self-esteem plays an important role in all areas of life. Self-esteem influences our decisions, relationships, emotions, and overall life satisfaction. In case of low self-esteem, a person doubts his abilities and makes decisions based on his beliefs. A person may not dare to accept new challenges because he does not believe that he can cope with them. People who have low self-esteem often feel that everyone else is better than them. Problems can also arise in relationships because one’s needs are not met. People with low self-esteem don’t dare to talk about their needs and the needs of others are considered more important than one's own. Someone with low self-esteem may think that he doesn't deserve anything good. They consider themselves incompetent and worthless and pay too much attention to their weaknesses. Doubt, fear, and anxiety are also common. It can also be a sign of low self-esteem if you feel difficult to receive positive feedback.
What causes low self-esteem?
How to cope with low self-esteem?
- Be kind to yourself and treat yourself as if you were treating your loved ones.
- Constantly question your negative self-talk. Are all the things that you criticize yourself for really true? Are there any facts to confirm this? Are there any facts to disprove this?
- Don't compare yourself to others. All people are different and have different strengths and weaknesses.
- Become aware of your strengths and positive aspects and start paying more attention to them.
- Be physically active. Exercise improves both mental and physical health. You don't have to do much at once. Start slowly and at your own pace. Every small change is already a step in the right direction.
- Prioritize your needs and express them to others.
- Talk to a trusted person about your concerns and feelings.
- Practice these tips every day!
Self-help books and links below can also be helpful.
Low self-esteem can also be a sign of depression, if your problems persist, seek help from specialists.